BLOCK 20

BLOCK 20, 1846 - 1850

TO 1846 - 1850 MAP


Block 20 is located east of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, Alma St. on the east and Texana St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? CLICK HERE to find out.


No documented buildings and/or businesses on this block during this time period.

image3

BLOCK 20, 1851 - JUNE 1852

TO 1851 - JUNE 1852 MAP


Block 20 is located east of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, Alma St. on the east and Texana St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? CLICK HERE to find out.


No documented buildings and/or businesses on this block during this time period.

BLOCK 20, JUNE 21 1852- DECEMBER 1852

TO JUNE 21 1852- DECEMBER 1852 MAP


Block 20 is located east of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, Alma St. on the east and Texana St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? CLICK HERE to find out.


Hallett & Ballard to Lavaca County (Block 19 and 20)

Reference:
*Lavaca County Deed B/207

BLOCK 20, 1853

TO 1853 MAP


Block 20 is located east of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, Alma St. on the east and Texana St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? CLICK HERE to find out.


Lavaca County to Dowling and Kelly (Block 20 Lot 1 – 8) Dec 1853

​Masonic College​ - Please see information on the Masonic College, below.


1853: In 1853 the Masonic Lodge undertook to construct a private school for boys. The Alma Institute did as much for the girls.  A building committee of J. W. Kelly, Isaac J. Foster, Maryland Jones, B.B. Walker and J.J. Ballard was appointed.  The committee and other solicited donations and pledges to finance the project, and in time they contracted with A.K. Foster to construct a building 60 feet long, 30 feet wide and 3 stores high, with an observatory on the roof.  The building was located on a site donated by John W. Kelly and Josiah Dowling on Block 20 on Fourth St.

Reference:
​*Free State of Lavaca p. 171

image4

Downloads

MASONIC COLLEGE

The Masonic College (pdf)

Download

BLOCK 20, 1854

TO 1854 MAP


Block 20 is located east of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, Alma St. on the east and Texana St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? CLICK HERE to find out.


Masonic College (Block 20 Lot 1 – 8)