BLOCK 3, 1846 - 1850

TO 1846 - 1850 MAP


Block 3 is located southwest of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, Main St. on the east and Front St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? Click here to find out.

__________________________________________________


No documented building and/or businesses on this block during this time period.

image9

Block 3, 1851 - June 1852

TO 1851 - JUNE 1852 MAP


Block 3 is located southwest of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, Main St. on the east and Front St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? Click here to find out.

__________________________________________________


William Smothers Store (Block 3 Lot 1) (Block 3 Lot 3)

William Smothers purchased Lots 1 & 3 in Block 3 from Collatinus and Mary Jane Ballard in 1851.  The lots fronting 20 varas on Front St and running back 41 varas in depth.

References:
*Lavaca County Deed B/44

Block 3, June 21, 1852 - December 1852

TO JUNE 21,  1852 - DECEMBER 1852  MAP


Block 3 is located southwest of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, Main St. on the east and Front St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? Click here to find out.

__________________________________________________

A.W. Hicks Hotel & Tavern (Block 3 Lot 1 – 8) 

Block 3 and the street between Block 2 and 3 were reserved for A.W. Hicks per the deed of Margaret P. Hallet and Collatinus and Mary Jane Ballard to John H. Livergood, County Judge of Lavaca County dated 21st June 1852.  


William Smothers (Block 3 Lot 1 and 3)  

*Note: While the B/207 deed states that the entire eight lots in Block 3 were reserved for Hicks, William Smothers had previous purchased Lots 1 & 3 in Block 3 in 1851 via deed B/44. 

Reference:

 *Lavaca County Deed B/207

BLOCK 3, 1853

TO 1853 MAP


Block 3 is located southwest of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, Main St. on the east and Front St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? Click here to find out.

__________________________________________________


A.W. Hicks Hotel & Tavern (Block 3 Lot 1 – 8)
William Smothers (Block 3 Lot 1 & 3)

*Note: While the B/207 deed states that the entire eight lots in Block 3 were reserved for Hicks, William Smothers had previously purchased Lot 1 & 3 in Block 3 via deed B/44.

image10

BLOCK 3, 1854

TO 1854 MAP


Block 3 is located southwest of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, Main St. on the east and Front St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each 80 varas X 80 varas. What is a Vara? Click here to find out.

__________________________________________________


A.W. Hicks (Block 3 Lot 1 – 8)
William Smothers (Block 3 Lot 1 & 3)

Robert Sanford and William Smothers, both active in supplying offices for county officials and records in 1852, had storehouses in town.  Smothers had property on the NW ¼ of Block 3 fronting 20 varas on the north margin of Third St.

Reference:
Free State of Lavaca p. 164