BLOCK 7

BLOCK 7, 1846 - 1850

TO 1846 - 1850 MAP


Block 7 is located south of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, LaGrange St. on the east and Main St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas.   What is a Vara? Click here to find out.



No documented building and/or businesses on this block during this time period.

image6

BLOCK 7, 1851 - JUNE 1852

TO 1851 - 1852 MAP


Block 7 is located south of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, LaGrange St. on the east and Main St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas.   What is a Vara? Click here to find out.


John R. Whited Residence (Block 7 Lot 5 & 7)

On December 27, 1851, Collatinus and Mary Jane Ballard sold Lot 5 & 7 in Block 7 to John R. & Eliza Whited fronting on Main Street.  Each lot is 20 varas across and 40 varas in depth. 

Reference:
*Lavaca County Deed B/58

BLOCK 7, JUNE 21, 1852 - DECEMBER 1852

TO JUNE 21, 1852 - DECEMBER 1852 MAP


Block 7 is located south of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, LaGrange St. on the east and Main St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas.   What is a Vara? Click here to find out.



Hallett & Ballard to Lavaca County (Block 7 Lot 1 – 4, 6 and 8)

Reference:
*Lavaca County Deed B/207

John R. Whited Residence (Block 7 Lot 5 & 7)

image7

BLOCK 7, 1853

TO 1853 MAP


Block 7 is located south of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, LaGrange St. on the east and Main St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas.   What is a Vara? Click here to find out.


Lavaca County to Dowling and Kelly (Block 7 Lot 2 & 4) Dec 1853
John R. Whited/Collatinus Ballard (Block 7 Lot 1 & 3)
John R. Whited/Charles C. Dibrell (Block 7 Lot 5 & 7 & W ½ Lot 6 & 8)

1853 September 20: John K. Whited and wife Eliza sold Lots 1, 3, 5 & 7 and west ½ of Lots 6 & 8 in Block 7 to James A. York and M.B. Bennett. (Deed void if promissory note between Whited and Stephen & Lucinda Best is paid)

Reference:
*Lavaca County Deed B/402

1853 December 1: York & Bennett released all title & interest. (Note paid off; property remained with Whited)

Reference:
*Lavaca County Deed B/402

1853 November 25: Thomas H. Hawks sold to John K. Whited the west ½ of Lots 6 & 8 in Block 7.

Reference:
*Lavaca County Deed B/466

* Note: While the Lavaca County deed B/466 states that Hawks sold the west ½ of Lot 6 & 8 in Block 7, no deed has been located to document how Hawks received the property.

1853 December 14: John K. Whited and Eliza H. Whited sold Lot 5 & 7 in Block 7 to Charles C. Dibrell.  The two lots previously conveyed by Collatinus Ballard   and wife to John K. Whited and wife (B/58).  The deed also included the west ½ of Lots 6 & 8 in Block 7 being the two lots sold by Thomas H. Hawks to Whited.

Reference:

*Lavaca County Deed B/467 

1853 December 19: John K. Whited and wife Eliza sold a house and lots, Lots 1 &  3 in Block 7, to Collatinus Ballard.  Eliza relinquished her right and “dower” to the above.

BLOCK 7, 1854

TO 1854 MAP


Block 7 is located south of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Third St. on the north, Fourth St. on the south, LaGrange St. on the east and Main St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas.   What is a Vara? Click here to find out.


Collatinus Ballard (Block 7 Lot 1 & 3)


1854 September 2: Josiah Dowling and John W. Kelly to Collatinus Ballard Lots 1 & 3 in Block 7

Reference:
Lavaca County Deed C/215

In August of 1854, Ballard formed a three year partnership with William Pearce, a native of Kentucky, in the business of saddlers and harness makers.  Ballard supplied the capital and furnished the building (E ½ of Lot 1 & 3) free of rent while Pearce was “to diligently employ himself,” could employ a journeyman, and could draw $12.50 per month.  Pearce, to Ballard’s credit, followed the trade.   He remained in Hallettsville for years, and in 1858 was in the saddlery shop of C. Davenport, a native of Ohio, located near the town.

Reference:
Free State of Lavaca p. 163)

___________________________________________________


John W. Harrell (Block 7 Lot 2, 4 & E ½ 6 & 8)

1854 April 7: Josiah Dowling and John W. Kelly to John Harrell Lots 2 & 4 in Block 7.

Mr. John Harrell has put up a fine hotel, two story high, and he has a very large bell.  When completed, the hotel will look like a whale among the little cabins.

Reference:
Free State of Lavaca p. 150

Reference:
Lavaca County Deed C/58

1854 May 14: Thomas H. Hawks to John Harrell E ½ of Lots 6 & 8 in Block 7 being the block immediately south of and adjoining the square on which the courthouse stands.

Reference:
Lavaca County Deed C/130

___________________________________________________


John R. Whited/Charles C. Dibrell (Block 7 Lot 5 & 7)

Charles C. Dibrell (Block 7 W ½ of Lot 6 & 8)

1854 September 13: Josiah Dowling and John W. Kelly to Charles C. Dibrell W ½ of Lots 6 & 8 in Block 7 being the same lots sold by Thomas H. Hawks to John K. Whited and Whited to Dibrell

Reference:
Lavaca County Deed C219

image8